TOPIC: LABOR EDUCATOR POSITION OPEN IN SEATTLE
LABOR EDUCATOR POSITION OPEN IN SEATTLE 1 year, 2 months ago #11
The Washington State Labor Education and Research Center at the South Seattle Community College has an opening for a Labor Educator. All applications must be processed through the Seattle Community College District Human Resources website at agency.governmentjobs.com/sccd/default.cfm
The deadline is March 30th, 2012.
The Labor Educator will work with Labor Center staff to plan and implement trainings and workshops with unions, community organizations, and campus programs. These trainings and workshops will provide education and skills development for and about workers and their organizations. Some of the workshops the Labor Educator may be asked to facilitate include classes for union stewards, collective bargaining, leadership and communication, community-labor alliances, and organizing. The Labor Educator will do strategic outreach to the labor community to develop programs, and be a resource to faculty and staff at the Seattle Community Colleges.
· Teaching and public speaking: Presenting materials about work, workers, and their organizations in training and workshop settings.
· Outreach: Communicating with constituencies regarding programs via variety of communication technologies and in person.
· Strategic Program Development and Coordination: Working with Labor Center staff and allies to develop programs and recruit participants.
· Research: Gathering information about key issues and events affecting work, workers, and the economy to use in trainings and to provide to constituencies as needed.
· Logistics and administrative support for Center functions: Working with Center and College staff to track and maintain the Center's resources and make them accessible to our constituencies.
· Resource for faculty and students: Working with campus programs and instructors to incorporate the specialized knowledge and practices of Labor Education into existing College settings.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
· Teaching and public speaking: confident & creative presentation and facilitation skills.
· In-depth knowledge of unions, labor history and current labor struggles.
· Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
· Outreach: sensitivity to a broad variety of diversity issues and comfort engaging in controversial topics. Logistics and administrative support for Center functions: basic computer skills; being organized and an excellent time manager; ability and willingness to work occasional evening and weekends.
· Physical requirements: a great deal of sitting, some standing, some driving, minimal lifting and carrying, a great deal of computer and phone use.
· Bachelor's Degree AND minimum of three years' experience in union and/or labor education activities, OR 5 years of union and/or labor education experience.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES
· Proficiency in language other than English
· Having held an officer or staff position in a union
· Having participated in significant union campaigns including organizing, bargaining, leadership development, etc
Candidates are encouraged to emphasize specializations they may have in particular skill areas such as collective bargaining, contract enforcement, union management, labor law, or strategic research, and/or particular content areas such as working women, immigrant workers, young workers, workers of color, the building and construction trades, or global labor. Applicants will be required to do a brief teaching demonstration as part of the interview.
SALARY AND FUNDING
This is a full-time position for which the Center has 3 years of guaranteed funding. The money for this position has come directly from unions and supporters through a fund raising drive led by the Washington State Labor Council. We intend to work hard in the next three years to see our public funding restored so that this position can be continued beyond the 3 years of union funding. The salary is $50,000 with full benefits.
The topic has been locked.
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds